So, how does a product achieve splurge-worthy status? First, it has to offer something somewhat unique. It also needs to stand the test of time, both relative to being long-wearing and to being timeless. And, of course, it needs to be cruelty-free! Without further ado, here they are…
Top 5 cruelty-free splurge-worthies
- Ellis Faas- A line created by MUA, Ellis Faas, as she says “only tested on supermodels”… Basically, anything in this line will be worth your hard earned money. Virtually all the products from shadows to blushes to foundation are all in these sleek, travel-friendly pens with a felt tip or brush applicator built right in. The Skin Veil in S102 is my favorite base of all time (and I’ve tried a lot), leaves a luminous silky finish that is an exact match for evening out my skin tone. And don’t get me started on the gorgeous liquid eye shadows, let’s just say I own more than one…. and I’m already planning to sample their new Glow-Up Powder for my next splurge.
- Too faced Chocolate Bar Palette– So, first off, the shadows are made from cocoa powder, so you open it up and get this lovely whiff of chocolate! As if that weren’t enough, the colors are gorgeous… multiple burgundy shadows in several different finishes (metallic, matte, glitter!), mixed in with lovely lighter and mid-tone / neutral shades. All wrapped up in a travel-friendly metal case that looks like a chocolate bar! And, did I mention, it smells like chocolate!
- BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector– No one loves a bit of highlight more than I, cheekbones, brow bones, Cupid’s bow, I’ve highlighted them all. But, as an over-30 beauty, I’ve learned that highlights that are too glittery can really accentuate fine lines. To the rescue, BECCA’s shimmering skin perfector. Just lightly tap a bit on with your ring finger and you get this amazing but somehow natural looking glow, even in direct sunlight. And nary a fine line in sight.
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders– We’ve established that I’m a sucker for a highlighter that can multitask as a fine-line diffuser, and these are that and so much more… I can also use both Ethereal Light and Dim Light as stunning setting powders, and Mood Light is my favorite powder highlighter… on my ghost-of-Christmas-past skin tone, it can even double as a subtle blusher!
- It Cosmetics Limited Edition Naturally Pretty Celebration Matte Luxe Transforming Eyeshadow Palette– Matte eye shadows can be a beauty staple, but they can also appear flat or dull if the formula isn’t just right. Well, It Cosmetics sure got it right with this palette. All of the matte shadows are rich, highly pigmented, colors without a dullard in the bunch. The larger highlighter shade can be used on its own, or you can use it over the matte shadows to create 14 new colors!
Well, I hope you’ve enjoyed this sneak peek into my top 5 not-so guilty beauty pleasures! Let me know if I missed any… ;). And don’t forget to check out my top 5 under $5.
*These are only my opinions, formed through my personal experience as a consumer. I am not a medical doctor, an aesthetician, or a health/beauty professional. There is no guarantee what effect, positive or negative, these products may have on anyone else.
**All products were purchased by me from brands that, to the best of my knowledge, are cruelty-free.